Our philosophy is to encourage the Youth to interact and socialize with their peers, to interact and integrate within our community, and to utilize the resources already established in the community.
Community Access Services (CAS) provides support for Youth twelve to eighteen years of age with diverse abilities
- Who are eligible for Autism Programs based on the criteria outlined in the MCFD's eligibility for Autism Programs
- Or, Who are eligible for the At Home Program based on the criteria outlined in the MCFD's at Home Program
- And under the age of nineteen
The services to be provided may include the following:
- Facilitating and promoting age-appropriate peer relationships, socialization, and interaction.
- Developing age-appropriate community based leisure and recreational activities.
- Community integration by providing assistance to the youth to access generic community resources.
- Supporting transition to adult services.
Community Access Services objectives:
- We will provide direct assistance in skill development for Youth with diverse abilities
- We will offer leisure and recreational activities whereby the Youth will be challenged, creative, and fulfilled so they may reach their fullest potential.
- We will guide and empower the Youth through effective modeling, and facilitate their activity to ensure the goals of the family and Youth are met.
- We will support and nurture the Youth’s self-esteem by encouraging positive self-image.
- We will recognize families as the experts on their Youth and will need their help in meeting the Youth’s needs.
- We will provide a safe and emotionally secure environment in which the Youth is treated with dignity and respect.
- We will plan activities that are designed with the individual needs, challenges and wants in mind.
The program provides opportunities for our Youth to participate in various leisure and recreational activities such as crafts, cooking, health and physical fitness, outdoor activities, tours, and special events in the community. Activities are selected to help enhance various skills and encourage socialization in a relaxed and enjoyable setting after school for three hours per week.
Any questions? Contact:
Liz Whyte, Program Coordinator
Phone: (250) 286-0955 Ext. 217